photo LeftBracket_Bar_zps8f243bab.pngKBatty photo dividerbar_zps57c5d6ab.pngMy Shop photo dividerbar_zps57c5d6ab.pngMyWork photo dividerbar_zps57c5d6ab.pngFreebies photo dividerbar_zps57c5d6ab.pngPress photo dividerbar_zps57c5d6ab.pngContact photo RightBracket_Bar_zps19e593b7.png

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

This week on The Press...

This week I received the rest of my letterpress supplies so I went as far as I could getting my press set up.

 Unpacking & repacking my stuff. My mother-in-law got this fabulous box for me for Christmas. It could be a jewelry box or you could store stationery in it (eeeeee!!!), but I thought "what a great way to store some of my furniture, etc for the press AND make it look nice." Like this...


Fits nicely on the hutch in my living room & when it's closed up, everything is protected, hidden but accessible. Yeah!!!



 The gauge pins Matt showed me...oh, btw, Matt is the lovely guy who sold me the press in Pittsburgh. He uses these a lot. I like the way they look. But! On the Boxcar Press videos I've been watching, they use a different kind, which I also happened to order. I like options, especially when trying to figure out what works...So...



Here they are! Gauge pins (the other ones) all set up! Except they weren't. I measured wrong (something that honestly never happens to me. Measure twice, cut once is my motto.) and so had to move the single size pin up. That led to much frustration & cutting of the tympan...that tan paper. That let me to do some more research on pins. Apparently there are these pins that are compressible, that do away with the worry that they will hit your $300 printing base & break it. I'll take those, please.


I figured it out though! Learning to letterpress on my machine is a process, not an event (that should be a poster...). Here is my machine all set up - polymer plate is on the base, gauge pins in, scrap paper out of the shot. Now all I need is ink...



I took this picture specifically so I would remember where to put the plate on the base next time. My mom didn't raise no dummy.

One thing I do not have yet - cleaner, which is why I am not showing you any actual prints. The opinions vary far & wide on what to use or what not to use. I'm printing at home, so I'm a little worried about fumes. Odorless Mineral Spirits comes highly recommended, but I'm reading that we'll still be breathing in the chemicals & it's still flammable. Someone on Briarpress.org has recommmended...wait for it...Crisco. Ya! What?

So, I think I'm going to start with Odorless Mineral Spirits & go from there. The research will continue, no matter what.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...